Thursday, May 27, 2010

How I Got Here

Okay, so I just finished the first post, and I know it's not Cricket to just blog again right away, but I've got some catching up to do.

How did I get here?  Well, when I was a kid, I played with model trains.  Back then it was an HO set.  I had a pretty big layout - 4x8 - in my basement.  I would integrate the train with my slot car set (Aurora) as well as Girder & Panel sets that I had as kid.  I would try and make them go up hill and downhill, and almost always used a grade that was too steep.  Over time, I'd burn out transformers, and wang up new ones with parts from all the kits I had (one was an old Aurora car controller that looked like a tiny dashboard, hooked up in series with a newer car set transformer).  Eventually, newer things (notably girls) distracted me, and I gave up modeling for about 30 years.

Since then, I've held elected office locally and am in my 9th and final year.  I wanted a "hobby" that could occupy some time (now that I'll have some!), challenge me on several levels, and would keep me closer to home.  I wanted something my girls might get interested in themselves, and one that would allow me to leverage skills I already had (programmer by trade, woodworker hobbyist, etc.)

The NMRA convention was held in the city I work in last year (Hartford, CT) and I took an "extended" lunch to check it out.  I was amazed to see the improvements that had taken place over the last 30 years, most notably DCC.  The ability to control multiple trains on the same tracks, and to have computer command was intriguing... This was a hobby I understand.

I told my wife that I was interested in getting started in this hobby, and put some things on my Christmas list last year.  One was a Bachmann Acela set... that was too rich for everyone's blood.  But the Zephyr command/booster/throttle from Digitrax seemed to fit the bill for the type of layout I was creating.  My wife also got me a gift certificate at a local train store, and have now used that to purchase a couple of turnouts and some flex track.  I also spent too much on a DCC locomotive... but I just had to do it.  I had the Zephyr, and the track laying around.  All I needed was something to run on it!  Last weekend I bought an Atlas GP-35 engine with the DCC already installed.  Paid list price but I don't care!  I got to move the train around.  It was my first test, and now I know I have a good throttle, and I've already learned some good lessons... including the fact that my younger daughter enjoys moving the train back and forth on the flex track.

Anyway, I have a long way to go, and I'll put some more posts on the research I've done to date, and my plans, including the parts that I've purchased or plan to purchase.  I'm also planning on giving my 2¢ on the various tools that I use for this project.  JMRI will be one, and XTrackCad is another.

Anyway, it was a long road here, and along road ahead, but the journey is already well started.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment