Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Latest Status

Well, a lot has happened since my last post.  So I should get right to it...

I spent some time designing a test layout.  It consists of 2 turnouts, one LH and one RH and a bunch of flex track.  I plan on temporarily mounting these and the switches on a piece of 8' 1x12.  Basically, it will merge two tracks to one.  I also plan on mounting 3 IR detectors, and a DS64.  Oh yeah, throw in an RR-Cirkits Locobuffer USB...

Among the tests I want to do are:
- Test that the DS64 can be used to throw the turnouts using a momentary switch
- Test that the DS64 can be used to throw the turnouts using the Digitrax Zephyr throttle
- Test that the Locobuffer can be used to interface with the throttle via the computer
- Load and test JMRI - use the default computer controlled throttle to run trains and switches
- Attach the IR detectors to the DS64 and verify that JMRI can sense the input
- Test that the JMRI software can throw the switches
- Begin testing the scripting of JMRI to control trains and switches based on sensor inputs

It is a long list and will take some time.  I've already designed the test layout in XTrackCAD.  I've also imported that into JMRI to create a default panel.  Some gotchas on the way, and I can expound on this step if people say they want that in the comments.  So far, nobody is looking or listening to this blog... but I will keep posting anyway.

That's it for now... I'll probably test whether or not this blog is getting indexed by Google next.  I've put a few links on Trainboard.com and have begun asking and answering questions there.  I will try and integrate the blog with my questions and answers there to drive some traffic.

Oh yeah - I put all the stuff above on my birthday list.  Hopefully some or all of it will come in.  If it doesn't, it will be a slow slog acquiring my test equipment, as money is tight.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment